After the capitol, Parnamirim is the largest city of the Metropoitan Region of Natal, where strategic points of the State are located, like the Augusto Severo International Airport, Air Force Military Base,and the ‘ Barreira do Inferno’ (Missile Launching Center). Its beaches are among the most popular, too. They are: Pium, Cotovelo, and Pirangi. Due to the demogaphic expansion and the development today , the city and its beaches have become a definite place to live for many that choose to live closer to nature and work in Natal. Parnamirim entered into history by its important participation in World War II , when it became known as “Trampoline to Victory” – it was the military base from which the allied planes took off for the European front. One of the major attractions is located at Pirangi beach: the largest cashew tree in the world, the tree is a symbol of Rio Grande do Norte and is visited annually by thousands of tourists from all parts of the world, that come to see the natural phenomena more closely: one cashew tree alone with an extension of 7,500 square meters.
How to arrive there
The city is to the Sourth of Natal, cut by BR-101. The beaches of Pium, Cotovelo and Pirangi are also accessible by the Rota do Sol, leaving Ponta Negra beach.
Atractions and Special Points of Interest
- Praias de Búzios, Pirangi do Sul (Pirambúzios), Camurupim, Barreta, Barra de Tabatinga.
- Praia de Pium (Summer vacation spot, handicrafts),
- Praia de Cotovelo (cliffs, Summer vacation spot),
- Praia de Pirangi (boat trip, diving, boat trips, underwater fishing, windsurfing, natural pools),
- The Largest Cashew Tree in the World,
- Carnival in Pirangi – Pirangi River
- Rio Pirangi,
- Pium Fruit Market